Wednesday, January 7, 2009

2005 Faunus Cesanese Del Piglio, Lazio, Italy


Holy crap how I love me some Cesanese!!! I was seriously thinking of writing this tasting note in verse, just to show it how much I love it, but then remembered I'm a terrible poet (and blessed enough to know it. HA!) and I'm not nearly drunk enough to play that off.. Oh well...

I love this wine, it's a semi-transparent ruby in the glass, with a nose full of sour cherry, some blackberry, dust, a bit of cocoa, and hint of herbaceousness that keeps it interesting.
It's a relatively light body, with some pretty powerful cherry and plum flavors in the glass. It hits the mid-palate with a wonderful kick of acidity, moderate tannins, and some baker's chocolate that I'm really digging! I could most definitely see this as a great pizza and pasta wine.

What really gets me excited about this wine is the price, it's only $12!!! I LOVE when I find an everyday Italian that gets me excited to talk about! This isn't drinking like a $12 bottle of wine, it's too delicious and there are just too many things happening in the glass. Which makes you wonder why can't MORE wine be this damn good, this damn cheap!?!?
If only it had a screw cap..... ;)

1 comment:

Momagain said...

I'll look for it! You know I appreciate your wish for a screwcap!

One more Cab suggestion from today's Contra Costa Times. Sounds good. See "Firestation Red" at the end of this article:
http://www.contracostatimes.com/food-and-wine/ci_11386090