Saturday, October 25, 2008

Tir Na N'og, 2006 Old Vines Grenache, McLaren Vale, Australia


According to the back of the bottle, "Tir na N’og (pronounced “Tier nah Nohg”) is Gaelic for “Land of the Youth”. Irish legends and myths tell of a land where mortal time was suspended and everyone was young and beautiful. A place we all no doubt aspire to live in."

Blah blah blah, cool marketing gimmick, yada yada... I wasn't impressed with the $30 price tage, and (call me cheap) but I expected more from this.

It's a dark, inky purple, almost opaque in the glass, with a nose full of black fruits, plum, slate, and a touch of pepper. The body is light/medium, same with the tannins. So all you fans of the "I just licked a cotton ball" feeling, sorry...
I was surprised, as the first pour fills you with old world style black fruits of plum and blackberry, some violets, with a nice kick of pepper. Very not like McLaren Vale....

It *did* taste a little too hot for me, but at 14.5%, it's almost a port, so don't worry, kill a bottle with your friends and you'll all be on your asses together! Just don't drive, start an impromptu karaoke session, or start drunken emailing people!

Spend a little time with this, and you'll notice the in glass transformation into something fruitier, younger, but still with a hint of saltwater brine.

Again, not something I'd turn down, but not something I see as being worth thirty bucks!

I'm just sayin'

No comments: