Saturday, October 25, 2008

2005 Davis Valley Winery Chambourcin, Virginia


Let me just say, I freaking LOVE this wine!!

It's rich and full of juicy, ripe red cherries, white pepper, cloves, some sweet spice, a touch of smoke, some dark chocolate, and something like blackcurrant leaf.

It's off dry, with medium tannins and body. I got flavors of prunes, stewed raisins, cherry, stone fruits, a touch of vanilla, I swear I kept thinking Dr. Pepper!!!

It's great on it's own, was great chilled, and is even better now that it's getting cold outside! I should know, I've got the windows open and I'm drinking a glass right now... It's really good with some dark chocolate, and not so good with salted cashews or a tomato & bacon sandwich (shut up, I'm an AMAZING cook!), but I digress...

This is one of those really great introductory wines. It's smooth and easy drinking, with some residual sugar, and it's so approachable! I can't wait to slip some to my sister, who is currently in love with both Inca Kola *shudder* and had a grand old time with the (bone dry) Cava I brought her. Who knew?

I'm not sure how much this was, since I'm drinking the last of what we got at sale prices for the Wine Expo, but I promise you, if you buy it and don't like it, you can give it to me and I'll LOVE you for it! (Just make sure you don't drink from the bottle, backwash is nasty. It is not cool to drool.)

No comments: