Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Cheesetique White Wine Flight Tasting Notes

Cheesetique is this awesome little place in Del Ray. We went there for dinner this past Tuesday. It's a cool little place, the hours are weird, (closed on Mondays is kind of de rigeur around here I'm learning) the people were nice, and we walked out of there with some awesome new cheese, quince paste, and some clotted cream for a friend's birthday.

Unfortunately I wasn't as impressed with the wines. Most were served way too cold, a pet peeve of mine!
So first up is the 2006 Gavala from Santorini, Greece. I'm having a hell of a time finding information on this wine, but I *think* it's made of Assyrtico and Aidani grapes. Don't quote me on that though.

It was pale lemon, with the nose being of a very light intensity. Again, I'm stressing this was dumb, so maybe that's why I didn't get much from it.
I got a lot of grass on the nose, with some lemon and lime thrown in as well.
The flavors follow along the same vein, herbaceous, lemon, lime, and something bitter I couldn't pin down.
Personally, I didn't think the wine was worth the $9 price tag.

Next on the list was a 2007 Le Paradou Blanc Provence, France (Viognier)
I was rather excited about this one, I always get excited when I see organic wines being featured, if a bit wary. I happen to be a large fan of sulfites.
Pretty pale lemon, medium intensity, aromas of pear, apple, blossoms, and bananas.
It was off dry, light intensity, flavors of green apples, white pepper, green fruits, and a touch herbaceous.
All in all, it was good, fruity, and fun! In a kind of skip and go naked kind of way. Bet it'd be great on picnics! Definitely worth eight bucks!

The last on the tasting lineup was a 2006 Albarino do ferreiro from Rias Baixas. I was super excited, since the Rias Baixas is one of those trendy little areas that (hopefully) will be getting more attention now that we're all getting more global!!
Unfortunately, this was a total letdown, it was meaty and gross. Lots of wheat, some grass, no balance no love, just ick. Seriously not worth the $14.


Quince paste is awesome stuff, a little weird (it doesn't melt!!) but awesome!

No comments: