Wednesday, July 23, 2008

2006 Cycles Gladiator Pinot Noir, Central Coast

I'm a big fan of the Cycles Cab, but I wanted to try their other wines to see if they deserved those two gold medals. At $15 it's a bust, though in a side by side comparison, my "lab rat" and I enjoyed the Cab much more!!

Somewhere between ruby and garnet, with a nose of black pepper, black fruits, definitely black currant, some strawberry, sweet spice, leather, cinnamon, and clove.
It's a dry, low acid, medium tannin, medium body, pronounced intensity.
The flavors were spicy, with black pepper, clove, black fruit, black currant, and smoke being the most noticeable ones.
The alcohol was medium (13.9) with a pretty decent medium to long finish. It's an okay quality, definitely could use some age.

I wasn't blown away, and I can think of better $15 Pinots.

No comments: