Sunday, August 24, 2008

Virginia Wine Showcase

Wow, had a BLAST!!!!
I can't even begin to describe how cool it was. I can only imagine that this is what Napa was like, twenty years ago. Virginia is fifth in wine production in the U.S. and I bet it's going to continue to grow.

We got to taste some awesome wines, and a lot of interesting varietals I'd never heard of before, like "Traminette" and "Chambourcin", which seems to be a favorite for Virginia growers. I'm going to have to do some research, find out why. If you ever get the chance, I highly recommend giving it a shot!

There were some awesome wineries, and I believe my visiting schedule is about to drastically fill up!! I got to talk to a few winemakers and owners, and had some really funny conversations.It was cool to get to know them, find out what they're about, like how they feel about things like sulfides, cornichons, the mixing of Skittles and wine, all kinds of random things! There was this awesome little shop selling wine stave furniture. I'm DEFINITELY buying the adorable candle holder, and I wish I had room for the adirondack chairs, they don't look like it, but they were so damn comfy!

We tried a lot of fruit wines, and even a wine made from 30 different kinds of peppers. Omg, it was so fucking hot I thought I was going to explode, I broke out in a sweat! My sinuses were clear!!! We got some cute stickers out of the deal that say I kissed the devil or something cute like that. Obviously we got a bottle! It's now referred to as the "Dare Wine". We also got one called "Chili Dawg", which was 97% apple wine, 3% chili pepper wine, and went GREAT with cheese whiz.

I even got invited to come help with the harvest!! How cool is that ?!?!?!? I get to help pick grapes, get dirty, really experience what it's like!! I can't wait!

Needless to say, we had a blast, our pockets were considerably lighter (like, $300 lighter), and our arms were definitely full of purchases!

Some of my favorite wineries and their links:

No comments: