Monday, September 1, 2008

2004 Montecillo Crianza, Rioja, Spain

Bought this on a whim, as the $7 price tag was too hard to pass up, and I think I'm becoming a "Temp Tramp" (as in Tempranillo, jerk!) !

Pouring this baby gives you an indication of it's character right away! It's a beautiful, brooding garnet color, the nose is big with dark chocolate, espresso, black tea, black currant, and blackberries.

It's dry, full bodied, medium tannins, very "firm" in the mouth, with pronounced black pepper, smoke, violets, dark chocolate, black cherry, espresso flavors.

It's medium alcohol, at 13.5% but, *DAMN*!
It's got a great finish, long but not terrible, it's so full and robust, and in-your-face about it's flavors! This is NOT a sissy wine, and I can't decide if I'd rather have it with buffalo steak, barbecue, or spicy sausage gumbo....

After spending some time with this (including a bubble bath) I'm really liking this more and more! Sure, it's a little showy, and puts hairs on your chest, but I'm kind of digging that. If it's too much for you, try chilling it, putting your big girl panties on, or letting it breathe for about twenty minutes. It's nice to witness the in-glass transformations of this particular Temp; it becomes more savory, more bacon and game and meat flavored. (And if that doesn't get you drooling, I won't mention the chocolate covered bacon I'm plotting on next!!!)

I bet Robert Parker would cream his jammies if there was more oak in this!!

No comments: